"Recursive no;" implications?

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Jan 22 15:25:44 UTC 2014

Alan Clegg <alan at clegg.com> wrote:

>In addition to being rate-limited, blocking, etc., I'm sure the Google
>servers are instrumented as data collection devices and are providing
>data back to someone regarding what DNS is actually doing and being
>used for.
>
>Why else would they do it?   8-)
>
>AlanC

Google have argued that good, fast and reliable dns is a needed service. I know from experience that, sadly, many isps under provision their recursive resolvers and most people can't run their own (the "resolvers" in most CPE being a bad joke). So a 3rd party is a logical solution.

I'm sure the data mining is an added benefit however...
--
Sent from my phone with, please excuse brevity and typos