Non-responsive name servers when started during boot on OS X Mavericks 10.9

Larry Stone lstone19 at stonejongleux.com
Sat Jan 25 21:28:27 UTC 2014

On Jan 21, 2014, at 5:32 AM, Carsten Strotmann <cas at strotmann.de> wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> Chris Buxton <clists at buxtonfamily.us> writes:
>
>> I’d bet that the package from Men & Mice includes this script or an
>> equivalent workaround. When I wrote the original script I wrote about
>> above, I worked at Men & Mice.
>
> Your script or the sleep timer is not in the package anymore, but maybe
> it should be. I did some testing on our MacOS X Systems, and we also did
> not receive issue reports from customers using the MacOS X installer
> packages. Thanks for reminding me (us).
>
> However I will look into the issue and put the "sleep" back in if needed
> (or find a better patch to inform BIND on changes of the network config).
>
> @Larry: let me know if your are using the Men & Mice compiled BIND
> installer packages, and if the issue still appears.

Carsten, I finally had a chance to play with the Men & Mice port and it exhibited the same issue of not listening on the external address until given a SIGHUP.

It’s definitely a startup timing issue and some systems may start up fast enough to not have the issue (for instance, my newer MBP with an SSD for its system disk seems to consistently come up clean without a delay script; OTOH, my iMac (primary server) and another MBP with a hard disk do not come up clean and need the delay).

One other issue with Men & Mice port is installs everything in Apple reserved directories. These days, /usr/ (except /usr/local/), /var, /etc, and /System/Library should be considered reserved to Apple. User installed files should be in the /usr/local/ equivalents (or /Library instead of /System/Library). Anything in the Apple reserved directories can be overwritten by OS X updates. Apple generally does not touch /usr/local or /System/Library.

--
Larry Stone
lstone19 at stonejongleux.com
http://www.stonejongleux.com/