Variable SOAs in negative responses

Dave Warren davew at hireahit.com
Tue Jan 28 22:59:45 UTC 2014

On 2014-01-28 14:20, Mark Andrews wrote:
> In message <52E8258E.3060606 at hireahit.com>, Dave Warren writes:

>>> If you know those IPs, why do you check them for being listed at all?
>> John's question was from the point of view of the DNSBL operator. How
>> would a DNSBL operator stop users of that DNSBL from performing lookups
>> on certain IPs, and why would they bother?
>>
>>> If any IP starts spamming, why to give it longer time to appear in the
>>> blacklists? I don't think this makes sense at all...
>> Because a lot of IPs simply are not candidates for listing at certain
>> types of DNSBL sites. "Too big to block" is a thing.
>>
>> A more straightforward example: If your DNSBL is designed to only list
>> IPs that are running vulnerable web scripts *and* are not also
>> legitimate mail servers, then Google's outbound MX will *never* be
>> candidates for listing (regardless of how much they spew) and therefore
>> a very large TTL'd NXDOMAIN would be appropriate. Frankly, any
>> legitimate mail server would be a candidate for a large-TTL'd-NXDOMAIN
>> for this type of list, not just big players like Google.
> Which if the recursive servers are following RFC 2308 will be truncated to
> ~3 hours.

Which is quite reasonable, given that many DNSBLs (especially those that
aim to list zombies and other malware infections) update multiple per
minute (or are simply maintained dynamically, without a defined
"refresh"), and therefore want to use NXDOMAIN TTLs that are quite
short, perhaps in the range of minutes, so that freshly discovered
zombies are listed absolutely as soon as possible.

These are exactly the type of DNSBLs that will benefit from low NXDOMAIN
TTLs on most IPs and higher TTLs on definitely-won't-be-listed IPs like
major mail servers.

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/

Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea --
massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a
source of mind-boggling amounts of shit when you least expect it.