Bind-9.9.4-S3 RRL

Evan Hunt each at isc.org
Thu Jan 30 17:15:30 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 04:02:04PM +0000, Olsen, Richard William (Rick) CTR DISA PEO-MA (US) wrote:
> Reading different pages I have seen that you needed to use --enable-rrl
> as a configuration option but it is not in the S3 release. So is it the
> default or not available in the S3. The public release does have a rrl
> option.

RRL is always enabled in the subscription release. There's no configure
option because it would be moot.

The reason there was a configure option in 9.9 is that we introduced it
after 9.9.0.  Normally, ISC policy is not to add significant new features
except in 9.x.0 releases; we felt RRL was important enough to make an
exception, but we made it optional so as to minimize the risks of
destabilization to people who weren't using it yet.  In 9.10, and in
the subscription branch you're looking at, RRL is always compiled in.

Can you be more specific about which pages you were reading?  Perhaps we
should update them to be clearer about this.

(For the benefit of people reading this who are not ISC support customers,
9.9.4-S3 is a special version of BIND available to subscribers; it
contains some of the new features from 9.10 backported into the 9.9
codebase.)

Evan Hunt -- each at isc.org
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.