Bind 9.9.1 forward zone "local"

Dave Warren davew at hireahit.com
Wed Mar 26 02:49:20 UTC 2014

On 2014-03-25 16:16, Mark Andrews wrote:
> ".local" is reserved for mDNS.  I would say stop trying to use ".local" in
> the DNS.

While true, I don't think it will help this particular issue. As I
understand it, BIND knows, by knowledge of being a root server, that
local. can't possibly exist, and so that knowledge overrides the
configuration of the forwarder.

I ran into similar setting up a fake/virtual TLD for wrbldnsd, which I
was able to resolve by moving it downstream to dnsbl.hireahit.net.
instead of just dnsbl. Nearly. Until I hit one broken application that
wouldn't work with this configuration.

Switching BIND to use hints instead of acting as a root seems to work
around this (broken) local configuration.

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/