BIND 9.10 compilation problem for FreeBSD 6.x/7.x

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Tue May 6 14:04:22 UTC 2014

Shawn Zhou <shawnzhou00 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Any problem has problem building BIND 9.10 for FreeBSD? We are using the
> same process that worked for building 9.9.4 to build 9.10 on FreeBSD
> 6.x/7.x but we are getting "ld: invalid BFD target" error.

Yes. BIND's linking stage changed between 9.9 and 9.10 so instead of
invoking cc to link, its build scripts now invoke ld directly. If you used
to use -Wl to escape linker flags you must now pass them unescaped.

My build used to have
	export LDFLAGS="-Wl,-R/opt/OpenSSL/lib"
but now has
	export LDFLAGS="-R/opt/OpenSSL/lib"

Tony.
Southwest Forties, Cromarty, Forth, Tyne, Northwest Dogger: Southerly or
southwesterly 4 or 5. Slight or moderate. Showers. Good, occasionally
moderate.