Answer for a specific host, but recurse for all others within a zone

Jon Fullmer FullmerJF at familysearch.org
Fri May 9 17:47:16 UTC 2014

(Sorry, let's try that again WITHOUT "smart quotes":)

Rich, you and Barry both touched on my original tactic. I can define
"something.xyz.com" as a master zone with a single entry. The problem, as
you pointed out, is that this doesn't catch "www.something.xyz.com".
Unfortunately, the "www" section will have any number of random hosts, so
putting manually entries will be impractical.

I'm intrigued by the RPZ option. I'm not familiar with it. I realize that
it's only available in 9.8.1 and above (which will require me to upgrade;
I'm using 9.7.3). I've been scouring the Net for examples, but they're
typically targeted to one of RPZ's main purposes (spam blacklisting,
etc.).

IF I易m following the config right, let易s say that the local server in my
example is 10.1.2.3:

---- named.conf ----

options {
   response-policy { "something.xyz.com"; };
};

zone "something.xyz.com" {
  type master;
  file "something.xyz.com.db";
};

---- something.xyz.com.db ----

$TTL 900

@    IN SOA  soa.xyz.com.  hostmaster.xyz.com.   0001 900 900 604800 30
     IN NS localhost.

@    IN A 10.1.2.3
*    IN CNAME .

Is this right? I guess the trick I'm trying to sort out is how to tell the
zone file to "recurse, if not explicitly 'something.xyz.com'." What else
am I leaving out?

 - Jon