A record of domain name must be name server ?

Sam Wilson Sam.Wilson at ed.ac.uk
Wed Sep 10 15:42:31 UTC 2014

In article <mailman.890.1410357943.26362.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
 schulz at adi.com (Thomas Schulz) wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > xxx.com and IP address 192.168.1.100 is just a example domain name and IP
> > address. Our boss want everybody access our domain example.com through
> > browser, then it will redirect to our web site www.example.com. So I want
> > to get more information about unexpected impact when we changed DNS records.
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
> >
> > Best Regards,
> > Pete Fong
>
> Here is how I have things set up here. Our domain is adi.com. We have
> three name servers set up. Our web site can be accessed as both
> www.adi.com and adi.com. Here is what I have on our zone file:
>

> @               in      ns      bluegill.adi.com.
>                 in      ns      a.dns.tds.net.
>                 in      ns      seahorse.adi.com.
>
> bluegill        in      A       75.100.245.131
> seahorse        in      A       75.100.245.134
> www             in      A       75.100.245.133
> @               in      A       75.100.245.133
>
> @               in      mx      0   mackerel.adi.com.
>                 in      mx      10  seahorse.adi.com.
>                 in      mx      20  bluegill.adi.com.
>
> Note that address 75.100.245.133 is entered twice.
> The mx records are to get email to work correctly.

And you could reduce maintenance very slightly by replacing

www             in      A       75.100.245.133

with

www             in      CNAME   @

Though in Thomas' case the PTR record for 75.100.245.133 returns
www.adi.com, so that's a good reason for not doing the CNAME thing.

Sam

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.