A record of domain name must be name server ?

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Fri Sep 12 09:40:46 UTC 2014

On 11.09.14 13:14, Bob Harold wrote:
>In reference to the question of using a CNAME or A record for "
>www.example.com", it seems to me that the best solution, if we could ever
>get there, would be to create a new record type that means "redirect an A
>or AAAA lookup to this other name".  Like this:
>
>example.com.  IN  SOA  ....
>example.com.  IN  ANAME  my.webhosting.com.
>www.example.com.  IN  CNAME  my.webhosting.com.
>
>I use "ANAME" to mean "like a CNAME, but only for A and AAAA lookups", with
>no restrictions on other names with the same left side (except perhaps
>other A and AAAA records if that is necessary for technical reasons).
>
>Several DNS and hosting providers provide similar functionality, but is
>there any chance of widespread DNS support for something like this?

It's a server-side thing. The current protocol does not support redirecting
only for A and/or AAAA, nor any particular types, only everything (CNAME).

>Is there already and RFC for this?

I'm not sure whether this kind of RR should be introduced.
Maybe redirect that defines types to be redirected...

Linux - It's now safe to turn on your computer.
Linux - Teraz mozete pocitac bez obav zapnut.