Size of libdns between 9.10.0 and 9.10.1

Anand Buddhdev anandb at ripe.net
Wed Sep 24 16:35:47 UTC 2014

On 24/09/2014 17:56, Evan Hunt wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 09:23:51AM +0200, Anand Buddhdev wrote:
>> I've just downloaded and build BIND 9.10.1, and I noticed something. The
>> size of the generated libdns.so.146.0.2 file is 2046056 bytes. In my
>> previous build of 9.10.0-P2, the size of libdns.so.142.2.2 is 6658892.
>> That's a massive reduction in size. Did you guys suddenly delete a lot
>> of code?
>
> No, we didn't.  Same compiler/linker?  Same build options?

As far as I know, yes. I build RPMs, using a tool called "mock" which
builds packages in a chroot. I have an RPM spec file, so all I did was
to update the spec file with the new version number, download the new
tarball, and build the package.

In fact, I just rebuilt both versions, one after the other, and I still
see differences, so I am going to save the build state of each, and diff
them. But that will take some time. I will report my findings later this
evening, or perhaps tomorrow.

Regards,

Anand