How is a $ORIGIN directive used inside a DNS Zone File

Mukund Sivaraman muks at isc.org
Mon Dec 14 08:10:32 UTC 2015

Hi Harshith

On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 07:36:15AM +0000, Harshith Mulky wrote:
> Why is a $ORIGIN directive used in DNS Zone Files?

$ORIGIN directive sets a name to be appended to relative names in the
zone file so that they can be made into absolute names. The current
origin is appended to such relatives names.

See the BIND ARM for syntax and an explanation.

It is also explained here: http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/ch8/origin.html

> Would my Zone Files not work if I do not have $ORIGIN directive?

Zone files do not require use of $ORIGIN. It is in fact an extension to
the master format in RFC 1035.

See the pointers above for more details.

		Mukund