Cloud DNS providers for secondary DNS

Diggins Mike diggins at mcmaster.ca
Wed Dec 30 00:40:28 UTC 2015

Hello,

I'm looking into providing secondary name service for my organization using a cloud DNS provider (D-Zone). We would transfer our zones to them using a standard zone transfer and they would publish them to their AnyCast DNS servers. I was going to simply add their DNS servers to my Domain Registrars list of authoritative name servers. Is it enough to do that or do I also need to add these (2) name server addresses to each of my zone files as well (I have about 50 zones).

;                                Name Servers
                        IN  NS  ns1.mydomain.com.
                        IN  NS  ns2.mydomain.com.
                        IN  NS  ns1.d-zone.ca	<== Addition
                        IN  NS  ns2.d-zone.ca	<== Addition

What happens if I do one without the other? I guess I don't fully understand the relationship between the name servers listed in the zone versus the ones found in my domain record. I'm running BIND locally, if that matters.

-Mike