Setup our OWN DNS Server

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Fri Jan 30 12:54:10 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 03:35:10PM +0800, Chandran Manikandan wrote:
> I have email,web and FTP server hosting on our in house with public
> ip on Centos 6 on our own server. But email,web,ftp dns hosting
> with other third party service provider. I have enough public ip to
> host dns server for our own. So what are the requirements to host
> dns server and how to setup.
>
> Could anyone guide me.

There are good things to be said about staying with third-party DNS
hosting: they have capacity, redundancy, experience (one would hope
anyway. :) )  Furthermore reasonably good DNS hosting can be had for
free (or very close to it.)

This is not to discourage you nor anyone else from learning DNS; but
when doing so you might consider keeping the main zone hosted with
professional DNS providers while delegating a "play" zone to your
servers.

Those who do wish to become DNS professionals might consider taking
the training offered by ISC.  My class was with Alan, and while I
went into it with more experience than some class members had, it
was an excellent exercise with lots of hands-on work.  I think new
DNS administrators come out of it with a lot more confidence.

Some people like the dead-tree stuff, and while most of that's still
relevant, it is impossible for printed media to keep up with the
technology.

The BIND 9 ARM is the source of documentation for BIND, and also
helps new users get up to speed on basic DNS concepts.  Highly
recommended and readily available; you should have HTML and PDF
copies of the ARM with your copy of BIND (check with your
distributor to see if documentation is in a separate package.)

Here's the link if you can't find your copy:

https://kb.isc.org/article/AA-01031

Finally, of course, this mailing list has a lot of experienced
people, willing to help you out if you get stuck.  Good luck!
--
  http://rob0.nodns4.us/