Setup our OWN DNS Server

Daniel Ryslink daniel.ryslink at dialtelecom.cz
Fri Jan 30 15:06:16 UTC 2015

Hello,

First, you have to tell us if you wish to run and maintain an
authoritative DNS server (meaning a server propagating authoritative
information about your domain names), or a recursive caching nameserver
(a DNS server performing recursive queries on behalf of other client
devices [phones, laptops, web servers, mail servers, workstations]) that
cannot or should not resolve these queries by themselves.

These two functions are radically different, have different requirements
on hardware and bandwidth, and are really best kept separate because
mixing them up causes all kinds of problems. If you want do do both, you
should dedicate separate machines for the purpose.

Please also note that if you want to run authoritative DNS servers, you
need at least two, preferably in geografically diverse locations and
different ip ranges (so that one disaster does not wipe your domain
names out of existence). Some ISPs or hosting companies provide a
service called "slave DNS", though, allowing you to run a primary
authoritative server (master), and use their server as a secondary
authoritative server (slave).

--
S pozdravem,
Daniel Ryšlink