Single Bind (nameserver) for multiple domains (zones)

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Thu Jul 9 09:52:44 UTC 2015

Matthew Ceroni <matthewceroni at gmail.com> wrote:

> The problem I am running into is if I query that domain (devdomain.com) for
> say test1.devdomain.com (which isn't present in the zone file) it ends up
> query test1.devdomain.com.domain1.com. And our company domain (domain1 in
> this example) returns a default IP for anything queried against it. Which I
> don't want.
>
> The search path in the resolv.conf on the bind server has domain1.com so it
> appears bind couldn't find the result (since it wasn't in the zone file)
> and then just followed the path the OS would do to lookup records (append
> the search path and try those).

It sounds like your BIND setup is working fine, but you are having
problems with your stub resolver. Try

	$ host test1.devdomain.com.

with the trailing dot to suppress the stub resolver's search behaviour,
or query a name under devdomain.com which exists.

Tony.
Fair Isle, Faeroes, Southeast Iceland: Northwesterly 5 or 6 at first in Fair
Isle, otherwise cyclonic, becoming southeasterly later, 4 or 5. Moderate,
occasionally rough at first in Fair Isle. Showers. Good.