compile and install from source

at lbutlr at lbutlr
Sun Mar 29 23:35:09 UTC 2015

Downloaded and compiled bind-9.9.7 (FreeBSD 8.4-RELEASE) and it built fine (./configure && make && make install).

If I try to start named (service named start), it starts this version instead of the version in /usr/local/sbin

I found this in /etc/defaults/rc,conf:

named_enable="NO"               # Run named, the DNS server (or NO).
named_program="/usr/sbin/named" # Path to named, if you want a different one.
named_conf="/etc/namedb/named.conf"     # Path to the configuration file
#named_flags=""                 # Use this for flags OTHER than -u and -c
named_uid="bind"                # User to run named as
named_chrootdir="/var/named"    # Chroot directory (or "" not to auto-chroot it)
named_chroot_autoupdate="YES"   # Automatically install/update chrooted
                              # components of named. See /etc/rc.d/named.
named_symlink_enable="YES"      # Symlink the chrooted pid file
named_wait="NO"                 # Wait for working name service before exiting
named_wait_host="localhost"     # Hostname to check if named_wait is enabled
named_auto_forward="NO"         # Set up forwarders from /etc/resolv.conf
named_auto_forward_only="NO"    # Do "forward only" instead of "forward first”

So I changed the path (in /etc/rc.conf) to /usr/local/sbin/named

But now I get:

$ /etc/rc.d/named start
Starting named.
/etc/rc.d/named: WARNING: failed to start named

But nothing is logged in /var/log/messages

For now, I am pointing back to the old 9.8.4 version.

--
'Somewhere, A Crime Is Happening,' said Dorfl. --Feet of Clay