question regards to dynamic dns update

Kenneth Lakin kennethlakin at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 11:26:03 UTC 2015

On 11/11/2015 02:50 AM, Julie Xu wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. But, my subnet do not use dhcp. Can they still get dynamic DNS?

If you write the code to detect whether or not a given host is up, and
then do something like shell out to nsupdate when a host's state
changes, then yes, you can totally do this.

To the best of my knowledge, neither BIND, nor ISC DHCPD will help you
with determining whether the state of your hosts have changed and using
nsupdate (or whatever) to add or remove DNS information.