root hints operation

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Tue Nov 17 02:20:06 UTC 2015

In article <mailman.2932.1447726182.26362.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
 Grant Taylor <gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net> wrote:

> On 11/16/2015 06:56 PM, /dev/rob0 wrote:
> > You either specify a hints file to use, or use the compiled-in root
> > hints.
>
> Interesting.  I was not aware that it was an exclusive or type situation.

Did you think it combined the file with the built-in list?

> Based on the way I read the link, I still believe my original post is
> accurate.  (Save for the XOR.)

It is. I'm not even sure you misunderstood the XOR, since you wrote that
it tries each server in the root hints file until it gets a successful
response. That suggests that you understood that the built-in list is
used in place of the file if no file is provided.

--
Barry Margolin
Arlington, MA