root hints operation

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Tue Nov 17 02:31:38 UTC 2015

On 11/16/2015 07:20 PM, Barry Margolin wrote:
> Did you think it combined the file with the built-in list?

I hadn't given much thought to how the built in would or would not be
combined with the contents of the root.hints file.

I always took it that BIND would fall back to the compiled in version if
nothing else succeeded.

> It is. I'm not even sure you misunderstood the XOR, since you wrote that
> it tries each server in the root hints file until it gets a successful
> response. That suggests that you understood that the built-in list is
> used in place of the file if no file is provided.

The idea that a (maliciously) blank root.hints file would prevent BIND
from using the compiled in version is new to me.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die