does bind depends on system DNS settings for lookup?

Chris Buxton clists at buxtonfamily.us
Mon Nov 23 19:29:53 UTC 2015

Kevin,

I appreciate the thorough response. The usage you describe is somewhat at odds with the usage I’ve been using, which is why I asked the question.

One thing that seems to be confusing matters is the use of the word “resolver" in the text you quote, seeming to refer to the stub resolver in a client device. This makes it sound like a name server offering recursion is not a resolver, which is definitely counter to the usage in the RFCs and therefore wrong. I think this might stem from the usage in Cricket’s O’Reilly books; I used to work with Cricket, and had this debate with him, and he was unable to logically justify his usage. (Saying, “This is what’s in my book, and I’m not changing my book, so I must be right” does not form a logical argument.)

Anyway, I just want to have agreed-upon terminology. If my historical usage is deemed inaccurate or outmoded, I’m willing to adjust. To my thinking, we need solid definitions of the following items:

- Stub resolver
- Resolver (encompassing both a stub resolver and a recursive [or is it iterative?] resolver)
- Recursive name server (or is it iterative?) (because not all resolvers capable of recursion are name servers)

I have found when teaching this material that helping someone understand the distinctions also helps them understand DNS itself. Not having consistent usage, at least among those of us who know this stuff as well as you and I (and plenty of others on this list), leads to confusion among the neophytes.

I will be reading the IETF terminology draft closely. Thanks for pointing it out.

Regards,
Chris