Installing bind is not very clear for me

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu Sep 3 18:40:15 UTC 2015

On 09/03/2015 01:45 PM, Leandro wrote:
> Dear All:
> While installing bind still have not clear some issues:
> Im using Centos 6.6 since Im not very comfortable with Centos7 yet.
>
> My final goal is to get an updated and stable version and also use
> json format for the statistics channel.
>
> 1) Some bind users recommended to get at least a 9.10 release but:
> Using yum and repos, founded that 9.8 is available for Centos 6.6.
> Also , Centos recommend not to build from source when possible.
>
> 2)Building bind 9.10 from source is not complicated but:
> Could not install on chroot.
> Could not get the json or xml statistics , only html.

If you need 9.10 for json, and you want to stay with Centos, you WILL be
doing your own builds.  I am working with C7 and it is 'only' 9.9.4 (or
at least that is what dig is reporting).

There are a lot of fun debates that if you are using selinux on Centos,
you do not need chroot.  In fact chroot introduces its own set of
challenges.  I tend to believe this, though it was years ago that I went
through the arguments.

There are people on the Centos list that build their own bind.  Ask over
there.