Interesting behavior with wildcard domains

Darcy Kevin (FCA) kevin.darcy at fcagroup.com
Tue Feb 23 23:29:16 UTC 2016

See “empty non-terminal” in https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4592.txt.

                                                                                                - Kevin

[FCA_Pantone_email]
Kevin Darcy
NAFTA Information Security Projects

FCA US LLC
1075 W Entrance Dr,
Auburn Hills, MI 48326
USA

Telephone: +1 (248) 838-6601
Mobile: +1 (810) 397-0103
Email: kevin.darcy at fcagroup.com

From: bind-users-bounces at lists.isc.org [mailto:bind-users-bounces at lists.isc.org] On Behalf Of Noel Butler
Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2016 6:19 PM
To: bind-users at lists.isc.org
Subject: Re: Interesting behavior with wildcard domains

On 24/02/2016 09:13, Mathew Ian Eis wrote:
Hi BIND,

I've encountered (quite by accident) an interesting behavior in BIND with wildcard domains:

The relevant configuration is a zone; e.g. bar.com, with what I'll call a "second level" wildcard host, e.g. *.foo.bar.com A 10.10.10.5 in that zone. (as opposed to what might be considered the more usual wildcard host record of *.bar.com).

buz.foo.bar.com returns A 10.10.10.5 as expected.

However, a query for foo.bar.com returns NOERR with zero results, when I would expect a NXDOMAIN.

Anyone know if the NOERR with zero results is the expected / correct behavior?

Thanks in advance,

Mathew Eis
Northern Arizona University
Information Technology Services

It's expected, since its a *  "." foo...
you are asking for anything thast dot foo, your not asking for foo

--
If you have the urge to reply to all rather than reply to list, you best first read  http://members.ausics.net/qwerty/