Additional Section - TXT Format?

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Sat Jul 9 16:00:25 UTC 2016

In article <mailman.55.1468028074.15653.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
 Jun Xiang X Tee <jtee at purdue.edu> wrote:

> Dear all,
>

>   I have a simple question here. Is it possible to have a TXT format tuple
>   appearing at the additional section?

I don't think there's anything expressly prohibiting it. But the
additional section is only supposed to contain records that would be
helpful when processing the records in the Answer section. For instance,
if you ask for NS or MX records, you're likely to need the addresses of
the targets of those records, so they should be included in the answer
to save you from having to request them separately.

DNS is supposed to be a lightweight protocol, so it's inappropriate to
return more data than is really needed.

--
Barry Margolin
Arlington, MA