Questions on how to setup Reverse DNS in bind 9

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Wed Jul 20 08:14:15 UTC 2016

On 19.07.16 19:28, Spork Schivago wrote:
>I got the A records set back up again.   Here's the important stuff I think.
>
>Does it look right?

yes, although you may safely skip the localhost, and you may skip ".jetbbs.com."
or replace simply "jetbbs.com." by "@"
(if cpannel supports that - it should)

e.g.

@		86400	IN	NS	ns1

>For the reverse DNS pointer records, I think when I contact GoDaddy, I'm
>going to ask if they can setup a PTR record so 104.238.117.105 points to
>franklin.jetbbs.com and 132.148.11.44 points to franklin.jetbbs.com as
>well.   I think that'll help with mail filtering and stuff.

that will help your mail in getting delivered in the first place ;-)

>On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 5:45 PM, Spork Schivago <sporkschivago at gmail.com>
>wrote:
>> I had removed the A record after it didn't work.   I was speaking in past
>> tense there.  One of the DNS checking tools I was using went nuts
>> complaining about something not being right so I undid my changes.   I'll
>> recreate it.

I'd like to see which tool and what complaints were they.
some tools are good, some insist on useless things and some miss important
things...

>> The idea behind having two IP addresses and setting up the DNS servers was
>> because I wanted to eventually setup some redundancy and play around with
>> running a server out of my house.   I'll create the second A record for
>> jetbbs.com again but when we get into the new house, I'll change it so
>> the IP address for the second A record points to my server at the house.
>> That way, if one server goes down, people can still connect.   It'd be a
>> great opportunity to learn this stuff a bit more I think.

good idea.
- Have you got anything without Spam in it?
- Well, there's Spam egg sausage and Spam, that's not got much Spam in it.