Multiple AD domains

Jeff Sadowski jeff.sadowski at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 18:56:26 UTC 2016

On the samba mailing list they described setting up the DC as the NS and
forward to another machine for more rules.
This will work fine for one domain. Now lets say I have 2 domains.

If I setup forwarders like so on 192.168.1.1

zone "domainA" IN { type forward; forward only; forwarders { 192.168.2.1;
}; };
zone "domainB" IN { type forward; forward only; forwarders { 192.168.3.1;
}; };

It will cache entries for each domain and if a computer gets a different
address for dhcp it will update on the domain's DNS but the dns on
192.168.1.1 will have a cached entry untill it expires.

192.168.2.1 and 192.168.3.1 are setup to forward all other zones than their
domain names to 192.168.1.1

if I have DNS server set for all machines in domainA to 192.168.2.1 all
machines on domainA see any DNS changes to domainA imediately machines on
domainB are cached and can take time to clear out.
And
if I have DNS server set for all machines in domainB to 192.168.3.1 all
machines on domainB see any DNS changes to domainB imediately machines on
domainA are cached and can take time to clear out.

What is the best way to resolve this issue?