getting not authoritative with some notifies

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Thu Jul 28 14:45:27 UTC 2016

Casey Deccio <casey at deccio.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 10:34 AM, Paul A <razor at meganet.net> wrote:
>
> > Yes on both server and the slave and primary are listed on the NS RR.
> > I'm really at a loss here, the zone updates on the slave but I keep
> > getting that message.
>
> There's a difference between a server being listed in the NS RRset and a
> server being authoritative for the zone.  Is there a "zone" statement for
> that zone in your named.conf?

When you query the slave for a problem zone, look at the flags in the
header, e.g.

this answer comes from a recursive query - "ra" is present and "aa" is
missing

;; flags: qr rd ra ad; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

this answer comes from an authoritative zone - "aa" is present

;; flags: qr aa; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

Tony.
South Thames, Dover: Southwesterly 5 or 6. Slight or moderate. Rain or
showers. Good, occasionally poor.