PCS, Corosync, Pacemaker, and Bind

Graham Clinch g.clinch at lancaster.ac.uk
Wed Mar 16 18:06:15 UTC 2016

> Please confirm that if a DNS query is sent to the virtual address, the reply
> will be sourced from the virtual address. The reason for restricting BIND to
> a single address was mostly for firewall and administrative simplicity, but
> that's not a big deal as long as the same address is used both directions.

Yes, the correct source address is used (the source of a response is the
destination of the inbound query).  However, onward queries that bind
makes on behalf of a client (eg if recursing) will use whatever address
(or presumably query-source/query-source-v6).  The default query source
always seems to be the primary address of an interface, as far as I've seen.

> The documentation for keepalived isn't very good, but as near as I can tell
> it does not support bringing up an application like BIND along with a VRRP
> address. Maybe I'm wrong? The cluster.org package works great except for the
> lack of an interface, so I've posted over there also to see if it's possible
> to build a virtual interface for the IP, but I doubt it.

Our recursive servers run keepalived to juggle the two service addresses
that we advertise, and we don't set query-source, listen-on or
notify-source.  I don't see any benefit in moving the query/notify
source addresses between hosts, especially since it makes it hard to
test/monitor a host that isn't in service at the moment.

Keepalived calls 'rndc scan' to nudge the already-running named when
addresses appear/disappear, but I think this might be a historical thing
now that bind can watch the routing socket.

Graham