The DDOS attack on DYN & RRL ?

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon Oct 31 16:23:30 UTC 2016

On 2016/10/31 16:09, Barry Margolin wrote:
> I heard that the impact of the attack was even narrower than just the
> US, it was mostly eastern US. That suggests some things about the
> granularity of Dyn's anycast network and the distribution of the Mirai
> botnet.

There were actually three attacks on the same day.  The first (about
12:00 UTC) affected pretty much just the Eastern USA, and we saw little
beyond some raised RTTs in Europe.  The second (about 16:00UTC) took out
all the Dyn POPs in the USA and affected their European POP.  The third
(around 18:00UTC) ... was pretty much a non-event.  Dyn had mitigated
the attacks pretty effectively by that point.

	Cheers,

	Matthew