Multiple IPs Associated With A Single Name

Tim Daneliuk tundra at tundraware.com
Fri Sep 30 17:15:53 UTC 2016

On 09/30/2016 11:17 AM, Hrant Dadivanyan wrote:
> Won't port redirection work better then ?

Yes it would, but redirecting a privileged port requires .... root.

Since so many people have kindly responded here, it might be worth
explaining a bit of the backstory.

The client is a large corporate concern which very rigid compliance and
audit requirements.  This means even the simplest changes can take
weeks or months to implement as things go through massive internal
reviews.

Meanwhile, there is an R&D team that is exploring spinning up on-demand
microservices solutions for a variety of data analytics applications
within the firm.  They cannot get a sandbox they control and they cannot
get sudo for even limited access to things on their sandboxes.  So, we're
trying to figure out a way to work around the corporate slowness while
still living entirely in userland - this lowers the audit risk a lot.

Somewhat OT:

I know this probably seems dumb to most people but you have to realize that
after the 2008 economic meltdown, governments all over the world - predictably -
way overreacted (and to the wrong things) and are now choking the life
out of corporations with absurd regulations that do nothing but make
things harder.  The cheaters can probably still find a way if they really
want to - it's just mildly harder.  It's good for me though - it keeps
me fully booking revenue :)

Tim Daneliuk     tundra at tundraware.com