Fwd: BIND and Windows DNS logging and archiving

Mick Lee lmick5455 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 16:29:51 UTC 2017

Forgot to CC the list.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mick Lee <lmick5455 at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 6:55 PM
Subject: Re: BIND and Windows DNS logging and archiving
To: Phil Mayers <p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk>

Thanks,

I checked and it doesn't look like dnscap would work with little change :(
 Anyway, my colleague has now implemented a similar tool called
dns-activity-logger.

I mention it here since it does DNS response logging, specifically for IP
addresses.  You get output similar to BIND query logging for responses too:

# Response logging is like query logging, but you get rcode, ans-count,
auth-count, add-count and a space separated list of IP's from the answer
section if any
Aug 12 17:47:25 dns01 dns-activity-logger[6476]: client 192.168.1.13#61835:
query: www.apple.com IN A + (192.168.1.200)
Aug 12 17:47:25 dns01 dns-activity-logger[6476]: client
192.168.1.200#61285: query: www.apple.com IN A + (192.168.1.1)
Aug 12 17:47:25 dns01 dns-activity-logger[6476]: client
192.168.1.200#61285: response: www.apple.com IN A + (192.168.1.1) NOERROR 4
0 1: 23.198.68.189
Aug 12 17:47:25 dns01 dns-activity-logger[6476]: client 192.168.1.13#61835:
response: www.apple.com IN A + (192.168.1.200) NOERROR 4 0 0: 23.198.68.189

It streams Syslog messages out in real-time over TCP, supports
auto-failover in case one Syslog server goes down, and buffers in memory so
doesn't require any disk I/O.

My initial use case was Windows, but after seeing the response logging I
think I will disable BIND query logging and just use this.

He's willing to make it available to the general public if there is any
interest.

Cheers

Mick