botched KSK rollover

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Thu Aug 17 16:31:30 UTC 2017

Oops.

I had it all figured out about 2 months ago and had generated new
keys for ZSK (which I rolled over right away) and KSK.  The KSK
change was slated for yesterday, but I forgot to get the DS to the
parent zone before the inactivation of the previous KSK.

Sigh, it sure would be nice if I had a registrar with a means to
automate DS submission.  But it's my fault for failing to set a
reminder to do it manually.

I put a bandaid on the problem with dnssec-settime(8).  With that I
reactivated the old dead key (this has me feeling a bit like
Frankenstein! :) )  I added a week to inactivation,

# dnssec-settime -I+1w Knodns4.us.+005+60073.key

I thought I should then try deactivating the new one, but
dnssec-settime did not like what I tried:

# dnssec-settime -i6d -S Knodns4.us.+005+60073.key Knodns4.us.+005+16408.key
dnssec-settime: fatal: Predecessor will become inactive before the
        prepublication period ends.  Either change its inactivation
        date, or use the -i option to set a shorter prepublication
        interval.

I don't understand this error.  1w > 6d, right?

At this time I have 3 RRSIGs for DNSKEY: from both KSKs and the ZSK.
According to both DNSViz and Verisign's dnssec-debugger this has put
me back in business for the time being.  For some reason I am not
successful in wrestling with Godaddy over the new DS, but that's not
a matter for this list.
--
  http://rob0.nodns4.us/