switching entire DNS system to new servers and IP addresses

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Thu Feb 23 20:36:50 UTC 2017

On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 3:03 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 23.02.2017 um 20:52 schrieb Eldridge, Rod A [ITNET]:
>>

>> Iowa State University is replacing 7 ISC NAMED/BIND servers and 4 ISC DHCP
>> servers with Infoblox servers on March 14th. We want to keep the domain
>> names of our external servers the same (with one exception), but we will be
>> changing all of the IPv4 and IPv6 addresses of those external servers.
>>
>> Current external name servers:
>>
>>    DNS-1.IASTATE.EDU                       129.186.6.249,
>> 2610:130:101:100::249
>>    DNS-2.IASTATE.EDU                       129.186.88.249,
>> 2610:130:102:e01::249
>>    ISU.DNS.NORTHERNLIGHTS.GIGAPOP.NET      146.57.253.249,
>> 2607:ea00:1:9::aa
>>
>> The exception is that we will be removing
>> ISU.DNS.NORTHERNLIGHTS.GIGAPOP.NET (a server located at the UMN) and will be
>> installing a server at UIowa (that will be named DNS-3.IASTATE.EDU).
>>
>> The new IPv4 addresses for the new external name servers will be:
>>
>>    DNS-1.IASTATE.EDU                       129.186.67.129
>>    DNS-2.IASTATE.EDU                       129.186.67.145
>>    DNS-3.IASTATE.EDU                       128.255.x.x     <== not yet
>> assigned
>>
>> We haven't assigned IPv6 addresses yet.
>>
>> We'd like advice about any issues or problems we might run into and to
>> watch out for, what preparations should we do or must we do before the
>> switch, and any other advice to help us make this switch go smoothly and
>> unnoticed.

I think that I'd modify Reindl's list:

A: startup the new servers
B: keep them in sync
C: decrease the TTL on your NS (and other sensitive records) --
currently they are a day. Nothing is more embarrassing than e.g making
a type and having to wait a long TTL to be able to recover
D:  update 1 NS records to the new servers
E:  update GLUE records for same
F: go back to D, updating the next one.
G: wait TTL + safety time
H:  shutdown the old servers