"spare hosts" as personal DNS nameservers for 'mynew.org'

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Jul 11 19:33:16 UTC 2017

Am 11.07.2017 um 20:56 schrieb bind at zq3q.org:
> On Tue 7/11/17 15:23 +0100 Tony Finch wrote:
>> bind at zq3q.org <bind at zq3q.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I have several linux VMs, that are under used, so I want to use them
>>> for the nameservers for 'mynew.org'.  Neither are in 'mynew.org';
>>> is that going to work?
>>
>> Yes, that is perfectly normal. For example,
>>
>> $ dig +noall +answer ns dotat.at
>> dotat.at.               3559    IN      NS      ns1.gratisdns.dk.
>> dotat.at.               3559    IN      NS      ns3.gratisdns.dk.
>> dotat.at.               3559    IN      NS      grey.dotat.at.
>> dotat.at.               3559    IN      NS      puck.nether.net.
>>
>> $ dig +noall +answer ns ac.uk
>> ac.uk.                  20993   IN      NS      ns0.ja.net.
>> ac.uk.                  20993   IN      NS      ns1.surfnet.nl.
>> ac.uk.                  20993   IN      NS      ns2.ja.net.
>> ac.uk.                  20993   IN      NS      ns3.ja.net.
>> ac.uk.                  20993   IN      NS      ns4.ja.net.
>> ac.uk.                  20993   IN      NS      auth03.ns.uu.net.
>> ac.uk.                  20993   IN      NS      ws-fra1.win-ip.dfn.de.
>
> Thanks for the good examples Tony.
>
> Nice to learn your "+noall +answer" dig syntax also.
>
> --
> What is a domain registrar with good support, that can guide me through
> getting this to work under linux (fedora 24 and bind 9.x)?  I can buy a new domain
> if need be.

no need - you can transfer your domains at any point in time

> My current registrar may respond with a different person, for each mail
> for a given single issue, and I'm getting inconsistent answers.  They will not
> tell me any of their log error info; not sure if they even look?  They ignore
> several of my questions.  In fairness they are sincere and trying

in case of .at we are directly registrar and our infrastructure talks
idrectly via
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensible_Provisioning_Protocol to
nic.at, for other TLD's we use https://www.epag.de/ which belongs in the
meantime to GoDaddy

it should not be that hard to find a service which let you define the
nameservers of your domain - if it's a registrar at it's own or a
reseller don#t matter that much because the only point is whatever
interface that let you define "these hosts are the nameservers for
excample.com"