strange problem with query being dropped/ignored by the BIND process

Bob Harold rharolde at umich.edu
Thu Jun 29 19:55:45 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 9:51 AM, Marc Richter <marc.richter at de.verizon.com>
wrote:

> Hi Dennis,
>
> > Do you have any adjustments in /etc/system ?
>
> No. And as mentioned before this is a Solaris 11 system, so /etc/system is
> (mostly) irrelevant, as the IP settings are all done with ipadm now.
>

> > # ndd -get /dev/ip \? | grep "read"
> > # ndd -get /dev/tcp \? | grep "read"
> >

> That, as well as the script and examples you provided, won't help me a lot,
> as I am looking at UDP receive buffer overflows, not TCP.
>
> I have set udp_max_buf to 4MB now and udp_send_buf & udp_recv_buf to 2MB
> each, then restarted BIND.
> It seems to be working better now as I don't see that much receive buffer
> overflows anymore.
>
> However, the initial question still stands. How can I reconfigure BIND to
> pick up the data faster from the receive buffer ?
>
> > Since you are on contract ( me too .. arn't we all these days ) then I
> > have to assume you have reasonable kernel updates and tcp patches in
> > this Solaris server ?
>
> Yes, of course.
>
> Regards
> Marc

I tend to distrust  "CPU(30%)" if it is averaged over more than one cpu.
Could you run "top" and hit the number "1" so that it shows each cpu
separately?  With 8 cpu's, "30%" could be one cpu at 100% and others lower,
where the one cpu at 100% is your bottleneck.

Just a guess at something to look at.

--
Bob Harold