bind-dyndb-ldap integration

Tomas Krizek tkrizek at redhat.com
Mon Mar 27 12:54:52 UTC 2017

On 03/27/2017 12:11 PM, Tony Finch wrote:
> Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Running named with `-d 10 -g -u named` from the command line got me
>> some more info but I still do not understand what goes wrong.
> I looked at this, but I can't work out what the problem is either.
> Something mysterious is going wrong inside bind-dyndb-ldap's config
> parser, so I think you should contact the authors of bind-dyndb-ldap for
> help.
>
> Here's what I can see happening...

>>  bind-dyndb-ldap version 11.1 compiled at 21:34:13 Mar 20 2017,
>>      compiler 4.9.4
>>  registered dynamic ldap driver for DNS-ldap.
>>  adding task 0x7fd80df75010 to syncrepl list; 1 task in list
>>  configuration for dyndb instance 'DNS-ldap' (starting in file
>>      /etc/bind/named.conf on line 44):
>>  auth_method "simple";
>>  base "cn=DNSdyndb, dc=home";
>>  bind_dn "cn=Admin, dc=home";
>>  directory "dyn";
>>  password "????????";
>>  uri "ldap://localhost:389";
>>  verbose_checks yes;
> At this point bind-dyndb-ldap has put the configuration through the BIND
> config parser. The debug output is a dump of the parsed config. This
> parsed config is then converted by bind-dyndb-ldap into its own format.
> This fails:
>
>>  cannot parse settings for 'named.conf for database DNS-ldap': not
>>      found
>>  LDAP instance 'DNS-ldap' destroyed
>> `
> I think the "not found" error happens when it is looking for a setting
> name which isn't present.
>
> My best guess for what might fix it is if you explicitly set all
> the options.
>
> My guess for what might reveal a bug is if you just add a seting for the
> `server_id` option.
This is indeed a bug [1]. It's a regression from the previous versions
(10.1) and it's most likely caused by the recent changes in the API.

As a workaround, you can specify `server_id` with an arbitrary value in
/etc/named.conf .

[1] - https://pagure.io/bind-dyndb-ldap/issue/172

--
Tomas Krizek

PGP: 4A8B A48C 2AED 933B D495  C509 A1FB A5F7 EF8C 4869