bind unexpectedly quit, how to debug

Paul Seward Paul.Seward at bristol.ac.uk
Tue May 9 10:15:46 UTC 2017

Hi Jim,

I thought I might get that sort of response, I'm not so much asking for a
fix as asking how I can find more information.

We're in the process of migrating from this version of bind to something
more recent - and may well use this incident as a lever to speed up some of
the political hurdles involved in doing so - but until then I need to show
management that I've done my due diligence into investigating the root
cause.

So if anyone has any suggestions for how I can get more information about
what's triggering the crash I would still welcome them.

-Paul

On 9 May 2017 at 11:04, Jim Reid <jim at rfc1035.com> wrote:

> > On 9 May 2017, at 10:47, Paul Seward <Paul.Seward at bristol.ac.uk> wrote:
> >
> > We've got some recursive-only servers running bind 9.8.1 on CentOS 6.9
> (using 9.8.2rc1-RedHat-9.8.2-0.62.rc1.el6_9.1 from the CentOS repos)
> >
> > They've unexpectedly quit a couple of times in the last month, leaving
> errors like this in the logs:
>
> Come back when you see the same problem with a current version of BIND (ie
> 9.10 or 9.11). Version 9.8 has been dead for a while and many of its bugs
> have been fixed in newer releases.

Paul Seward,    Senior Systems Administrator,    University of Bristol
Paul.Seward at bristol.ac.uk  +44 (0)117 39 41148    GPG Key ID: E24DA8A2
GPG Fingerprint:    7210 4E4A B5FC 7D9C 39F8  5C3C 6759 3937 E24D A8A2