Providing GeoIP information for servers

Timothe Litt litt at acm.org
Thu May 11 14:46:15 UTC 2017

On 10-May-17 17:50, John W. Blue wrote:
> >From the it-could-be-worse department:
>
> https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/08/kansas-couple-sues-ip-mapping-firm-for-turning-their-life-into-a-digital-hell/
>
> I am more a fan of continental geolocation accuracy when it comes to IP addresses.
>
> John
If your static IP address has a reverse name in DNS, it's a short hop
through whois to your actual location.

Well, usually. It is possible that none of the contact addresses are
where the IP address is located - especially for large organizations.
And there are the whois proxies that obscures your physical location.

Still, it's pretty hard to hide.  (Even in a Kansas lake.)

Depending on your situation, you may wish to have different accuracy
and/or precision in internal and external LOC records.

But on the original topic:  Contact Maxmind and see if they'll fix your
address. https://support.maxmind.com/geoip-data-correction-request/
They may require evidence that Comcast has delegated the address to you.

Timothe Litt
ACM Distinguished Engineer
if any, on the matters discussed.