Providing GeoIP information for servers

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri May 12 12:28:47 UTC 2017

On 05/11/2017 10:46 AM, Timothe Litt wrote:
> On 10-May-17 17:50, John W. Blue wrote:
>> >From the it-could-be-worse department:
>>
>> https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/08/kansas-couple-sues-ip-mapping-firm-for-turning-their-life-into-a-digital-hell/
>>
>> I am more a fan of continental geolocation accuracy when it comes to IP addresses.
>>
>> John
> If your static IP address has a reverse name in DNS, it's a short hop
> through whois to your actual location.
>
> Well, usually. It is possible that none of the contact addresses are
> where the IP address is located - especially for large organizations.
> And there are the whois proxies that obscures your physical location.

My whois information is there, if someone wanted to know.

But I was thinking to get the LOC for city hall and use that.
Police/fire are right next door.  :)

We don't have any above-ground water to use for the GPS LOC  ;)

Afterall, my desire is to show that my servers are in Oak Park, not
Plymouth MI.

> Still, it's pretty hard to hide.  (Even in a Kansas lake.)
>
> Depending on your situation, you may wish to have different accuracy
> and/or precision in internal and external LOC records.
>
> But on the original topic:  Contact Maxmind and see if they'll fix
> your address.
> https://support.maxmind.com/geoip-data-correction-request/ They may
> require evidence that Comcast has delegated the address to you.

Worth doing.  I have the contract for the static address assignment.