named-compilezone errors

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Tue May 30 21:44:59 UTC 2017

In message <36A87DF2-C03D-48B0-8686-5D9CAA3286FD at buxtonfamily.us>, Chris Buxton
 writes:
> Thanks for the response, Tony. Responses in-line.
>
> On May 30, 2017, at 5:51 AM, Tony Finch <dot at dotat.at> wrote:
>
> > Chris Buxton <clists at buxtonfamily.us> wrote:
> >
> >> dns_master_load: example.com.dns:6785: bad escape
> >> dns_master_load: example.com.dns:6789: bad escape
> >>
> >> mhtswfw-dellfi01\342\200\223mgmt A	10.152.224.231
> >> mhtswfw-dellfi02\342\200\223mgmt A	10.152.224.232
> >
> > Snigger. That's an en dash (U+2013, UTF-8 E2 80 93) encoded as
> > octal escapes. Master file binary escapes are decimal :-)
> > (Extra irony that Mockapetris was working on a PDP-10 which
> > loved octal.)
>
> That's amazing. The escapes come from Microsoft DNS, of course, so
> this seems like a bug in Microsoft's implementation.
>
> >> There are NS records pointing to these names. The names belong to the
> >> zone I'm trying to compile. But the names are not defined. I would have
> >> expected that '-i none' would have allowed it to skip these errors. but
> >> it doesn't.
> >
> > Yes, BIND insists very strongly that name servers have addresses.
>
> But it didn't used to do so. This seems like a bug to me, even if it
> is working as designed. The design is faulty. Any comment from ISC?

The '-i none' is for the delegating NS records.

> The purpose of this workflow is to standardize how data from Microsoft DNS
> exports are migrated into a BIND server. This problem is making the job
> harder.

Well Microsoft's servers don't check for lots of stupid content
which ends up here as "why does this lookup fail".  If a "server"
has no address records then it isn't a server so why is it listed
in the NS records for the zone?  Almost all of the time there are
no records at all so the glue A records get wiped out by the NXDOMAIN
response to the AAAA lookup and you have a zone that is not resolvable.

They also don't check for CNAME and other data.

Mark