named-compilezone errors

Chris Buxton clists at buxtonfamily.us
Tue May 30 14:16:43 UTC 2017

Thanks for the response, Tony. Responses in-line.

On May 30, 2017, at 5:51 AM, Tony Finch <dot at dotat.at> wrote:

> Chris Buxton <clists at buxtonfamily.us> wrote:
>
>> dns_master_load: example.com.dns:6785: bad escape
>> dns_master_load: example.com.dns:6789: bad escape
>>
>> mhtswfw-dellfi01\342\200\223mgmt A	10.152.224.231
>> mhtswfw-dellfi02\342\200\223mgmt A	10.152.224.232
>
> Snigger. That's an en dash (U+2013, UTF-8 E2 80 93) encoded as
> octal escapes. Master file binary escapes are decimal :-)
> (Extra irony that Mockapetris was working on a PDP-10 which
> loved octal.)

That's amazing. The escapes come from Microsoft DNS, of course, so this seems like a bug in Microsoft's implementation.

>> There are NS records pointing to these names. The names belong to the
>> zone I'm trying to compile. But the names are not defined. I would have
>> expected that '-i none' would have allowed it to skip these errors. but
>> it doesn't.
>
> Yes, BIND insists very strongly that name servers have addresses.

But it didn't used to do so. This seems like a bug to me, even if it is working as designed. The design is faulty. Any comment from ISC?

The purpose of this workflow is to standardize how data from Microsoft DNS exports are migrated into a BIND server. This problem is making the job harder.

Regards,
Chris Buxton