Keeping dynamic and static zone data separated

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Wed Jan 3 17:56:43 UTC 2018

Matthias Pigulla <mp at webfactory.de> wrote:

> So, how do you handle the situation of mixed static and dynamic RRs? Is
> there another way to keep these separated and possibly under version
> control?

Best solution is to put the dynamic stuff in a subdomain so it can be in a
separate zone.

Alternatively, you might be able to use `nsdiff` to update just the static
records from your source controlled file. https://dotat.at/prog/nsdiff/

You make the live version of the zone entirely dynamic, and you have some
mechanism based on `nsdiff` for updating the static part from your zone
fragment in version control. The tricky part is to identify which are the
static and dynamic parts of the zone.

If you can write a regex to match the dynamic records, you can use
`nsdiff -i` to make an `nsupdate` script which ignores the dynamic
part and just updates the static part. To be honest, I have no idea if
anyone has used this feature, but it was easy and I thought it might be
cool.

The other possibility is to point `nsdiff` at the current and previous
versions of your static file. But that will break horribly when your
source file gets out of sync with your zone.

Tony.
Rockall, Malin: West, becoming cyclonic gale 6 to gale 8, occasionally 5 for a
time. High or very high. Showers then rain. Moderate or poor.