baby steps...

Adam Hardy adam.hardy at cyberspaceroad.com
Sun Mar 25 20:07:37 UTC 2018

On 22/03/18 22:54, Adam Hardy wrote:

>>> So that will tell bind to serve 127.0.0.1, but don't I need to
>>> configure linux to go to 127.0.0.1 for DNS, since at the moment it
>>> isn't, according to resolv.conf, it's going to the OpenDNS servers:
>  >>
>>> adam at gondor:~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
>>> nameserver 81.139.56.100
>>> nameserver 81.139.57.100
>>> domain localdomain
>>> search localdomain
>>> adam at gondor:~$
>>>
>>> and that is generated by pppd when it connects.  I'm guessing now
>>> but presumably I have to tell pppd to add 127.0.0.1 to the other
>>> nameservers - the server wants to see the lan as well as the outside world.
>>
>> So you configure your lan-side NIC to use localhost (or its own
>> ip-address) as first dns. Nothing to do with bind.
 >
 > If you're running Linux and I do not know if it works on all distros,
 > add a text file in /etc named "resolv.conf.head" and put in there:
 >
 > nameserver 127.0.0.1
 >
 > It should put the lines in there at the start of your resolv.conf
 > after getting the info through dhcp.

It's Ubuntu and it's resolvconf package manages /etc/resolv.conf in order to
mediate potential conflicts between different packages requiring different
changes to /etc/resolv.conf.

resolvconf provides /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/head and putting "nameserver
127.0.0.1" there sorts out the issue.

Thanks to everybody who helped.