Dig Hangs during axfr request when not on localhost.

Anand Buddhdev anandb at ripe.net
Fri Jun 14 08:06:01 UTC 2019

On 14/06/2019 09:53, Pete Fry via bind-users wrote:

Hi Pete,

> however if you fun dig @IP.OF.MASTER ZONE axfr from a machine on the same
> subnet
> the zone starts to transfer and then hangs at certain points around 150k
> bytes give or take and fails to complete.
>
> any idea on what i can look into?
>
> smaller zones are transferring all OK

I would immediately suspect something on your network. Packet loss,
mismatched MTU, etc.

If I were you, I would run tcpdump on both master and slave and then
attempt a zone transfer, and examine that packet trace. See what's going
on. Are there TCP retransmits? Which side is stalling? The sender or
receiver? What, if anything, do you see in the log files of your BIND on
both the master and slave?

Anand