Dig Hangs during axfr request when not on localhost.

Ray Bellis ray at isc.org
Fri Jun 14 09:05:36 UTC 2019

On 14/06/2019 09:38, Pete Fry via bind-users wrote:
> Interestinly as we have the same problem on our dev box (running the
> same versions)
>
> I took the decision to install the ISC-BIND following
> (https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/isc/bind/)
>
> running 9.14.2 and repeated the tests and it works, however the config
> will need work to have no errors and as we generally deploy via puppet
> rework will be required.
>
> We generally use the REDHAT approved bind for support reasons.
>
> if it was a network issue just upgrading bind shouldn't effect it should it?

Somewhere about BIND 9.11 the default size of AXFR message was reduced
from the maximum of 65535 bytes down to 16384 because that allows for
optimal DNS message compression.

I also suspect a network level issue such as MTU, but it's feasible that
the above change may be allowing the packets to slip through.

kind regards,

Ray