allow-update in global options (was Re: bind and certbot with dns-challenge)

Charles Elliott elliott.chas at comcast.net
Mon Mar 18 12:55:56 UTC 2019

Time and time again, it has been shown that
there is huge value in diversity.  If you
were to invest a million dollars in Africa,
it most places you would get a million
dollars' worth of grass huts.  If you invest
a million dollars in
computer-programmer-designed software, most
of what you will get is a million dollars of
incremental changes that fit easily into the
existing system.

Most people on this list denigrate Microsoft
Server with its built-in DNS, but the facts
are that if you spin up a new Microsoft
Server installation, in about an hour you
have a completely configured, ready-to-go
domain name server, and few if any problems
thereafter.

Great success and huge amounts of money have
come to people who adopted a new perspective
on, and solved problems in, a particular
industry.  For example,

In the late 1800s, Rockefeller et al. made a
lot of money by creating the Standard Oil
Company, Inc. in the United States by
combining a large number of smaller oil
drillers and refiners.  Although Standard Oil
was eventually broken up because of antitrust
sentiment, at the time it was created it had
the support of the American people because
many of the displaced operators were in fact
just creating venues for horrific industrial
accidents.

For a time, General Motors made a great deal
of money manufacturing railroad locomotives
using production line techniques rather than
as a job shop.  Baldwin Locomotive went to
its grave after designing and building some
of the finest and most efficient steam
machines that ever existed, but despite
strenuous efforts it never could get over its
job shop mentality.

After the Second World War American railroads
were running worn-out equipment on  beat up
rails due to the inability to purchase new
equipment and spare parts during the war.
Despite the railroads' monumental
contribution to the war effort there was no
enthusiasm within the government for
refurbishing the industry due to the
railroads' perceived lousy safety record,
Eisenhower's and others' desires to re-create
the German autobahn system in the United
States, and the anticipated expansion of the
airlines.  Traditionally, locomotives were
sold to railroads based on the railroads'
Chief Engineers' knowledge of what motive
power his railroad needed.  General Electric
recognized that the railroads were
essentially broke and sent out its executives
to play golf with the railroads' financial
executives and thus sold a huge number of
diesel electric locomotives on terms that the
railroads could afford.

In its original conception, Sam Walton
created Wal-Mart stores as an integration of
modern IT with retailing.  "As of January 31,
2019, Walmart has 11,348 stores and clubs in
27 countries ...."  (Wikipedia)

What would happen if a marketing survey were
sent to executives who saw and paid the bills
for domain name service on the Internet?
What would happen if an expert, academic or
otherwise, were engaged to design a user
interface for an ideal domain name system?
Day in and day out the vast majority of
messages that appear on this bind list server
are about configuration issues.  Isn't it
time to get a new perspective on solving
these problems?

Charles Elliott