Bind-Efficientip

Mik J mikydevel at yahoo.fr
Wed Oct 23 22:53:44 UTC 2019

 You won't do it within a night that's for sure.But yes the vendors assemble components with a web interface and database.But now it seems to me that all products add more intelligence.
For my own needs bind alone is all fine because I'm root.But for 500+ users that need to view, modify some zones, import, export I'm not sure that would be possible.

    Le jeudi 24 octobre 2019 à 00:44:36 UTC+2, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> a écrit :

Am 24.10.19 um 00:35 schrieb Mik J via bind-users:
> Efficient IP uses bind (+ nsd/unbound) as the DNS server.
>
> One major difference between Efficient IP and bind is when you want to
> delegate the zone configuration to users and groups. I think it's called
> role based management.
> So let's say you want team1 to have read/write access to the zone
> team1.cyberia.net.sa, team2 to team2.cyberia.net.sa... on one server.
> You can have team2 to be able to view all the content of the zone
> team1.cyberia.net.sa and so on.
> I don't think it's possible to do this on bind only / unix
> There are granular rights.
>
> The second thing it that DHCP, DNS, IPAM work together. You can automate
> the IP reservation and the DNS record creation for example.
>
> The ability to import/export data from csv or API SOAP/Rest
>
> Infoblox and Bluecat are other similar products along with a few others.

at the end of the day it's just some interface utilizing the underlying
tools - i don't see why i couldn't expand my webinterface generating
zonefiles since 11 years now with some permission delegation within a
night if needed