Bind-Efficientip

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Oct 23 23:37:46 UTC 2019

Am 24.10.19 um 00:53 schrieb Mik J:
> You won't do it within a night that's for sure

add the delegation part for who can show and edit which zones?

easily given that the whole backend was written basicly in a single
night after the day we decided to move all dns zones from customers to
our own infrastructure

> But yes the vendors assemble components with a web interface and database.
> But now it seems to me that all products add more intelligence.

that's what you do after the basic stuff is rock solid to get rid of
boring manual tasks  on check lists what to look for after register /
transfer a zone

> For my own needs bind alone is all fine because I'm root.
> But for 500+ users that need to view, modify some zones, import, export
> I'm not sure that would be possible.

the most interesting stuff here was "virtual cnames" or whatever it
could be called that i can just add a hostname from within our own
domain and it becomes replaced by the host-ip at the time the zone file
is generated from the database record

as well as put default MX records including the "honeypot backup-mx",
presets for SPF, add helo-SPF for every host and null-MX combined with
"v=spf1 -all" for zones without a MX record

it's nice to pack as much as possible stuff in your own zone and press a
button which generates 800 zones from scratch with current data and
raise the serials