Zoneformat

Kevin Darcy kevin.darcy at fcagroup.com
Mon Oct 28 23:10:58 UTC 2019

[ Classification Level: PUBLIC ]

It's not like "speed dialing" consists of prepending a bunch of
more-or-less arbitrary area codes and exchanges and hoping that eventually
you'll get the right combination of numbers to reach the intended
recipient. THAT would be the proper analogy for suffix-searching.

A better analogy of "speed dialing", in the TCP/IP context, would be
browser bookmarks and the like, i.e. a limited, simplified list of choices,
on the frontend, each of which translates to the appropriate protocol-
and/or technology-specific identifiers, on the backend. I don't have a
problem with app features that make people's lives more convenient, as long
as what ends up in the DNS ecosystem is an unambiguous FQDN.

As for addressing coworkers by their short names, that works and sometimes
doesn't. I once worked regularly with 5 people who all had the first name
"Matt" (now we're down to only 3 in our area :-)

               - Kevin