BIND 9 Windows 32-bit deprecation

Ondřej Surý ondrej at isc.org
Thu Oct 31 21:02:06 UTC 2019

Dear BIND 9 Users,

We would like to announce proposed changes that affect 32-bit Windows platform. In accordance with our published policy on removing features (https://kb.isc.org/docs/policy-for-removing-namedconf-options), we are giving notice that we plan to gradually wind down our support for the Windows 32-bit operating system as follows:

Starting in December 2019, we will stop providing binary packages for Windows 32-bit for BIND 9.11 ESV and BIND 9.14.  Note that you can still compile BIND 9.11 on Windows 32-bit yourself.  We will continue to support BIND 9.11 and BIND 9.14 on the Windows 32-bit until those versions EOL.

BIND 9.16 will become our next ESV after BIND 9.11 is EOL.  ISC will not provide Windows 32-bit binary packages for BIND 9.16.  We will also not take Windows 32-bit into consideration when fixing bugs or backporting important features, so we do not guarantee that BIND will continue to be usable on that platform.

We will actively remove the support for Windows 32-bit target platform in BIND 9.17 and beyond, so it will not be usable.

if you are using BIND on Windows 32 and this timeline will cause you difficulty, please let us know.

Regards,
Ondřej