[Non-DoD Source] Re: Dumb Question is an A or AAAA record required?

DeCaro, James John (Jim) CIV DISA FE (USA) james.j.decaro3.civ at mail.mil
Thu Jul 9 13:16:05 UTC 2020

Would the lack of A records affect pointer records?  Seems like it would.

Jim

"If you always do what you always did you will always get what you always got."

-----Original Message-----
From: bind-users <bind-users-bounces at lists.isc.org> On Behalf Of Mark Andrews
Sent: Thursday, July 9, 2020 8:56 AM
To: @lbutlr <kremels at kreme.com>
Cc: bind-users <Bind-users at lists.isc.org>
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] Re: Dumb Question is an A or AAAA record required?

All active links contained in this email were disabled.  Please verify the identity of the sender, and confirm the authenticity of all links contained within the message prior to copying and pasting the address to a Web browser.

----

At this stage one still needs A records to be reachable by everyone.  One should also ensure you are reachable over IPv6 as lots of the world behind IPv6 only links as their ISPs don’t have enough IPv4 addresses for every one.  Instead they have to use some form of IPv4 as a service which is significantly more expensive to operate compared to straight routers.

--
Mark Andrews